10/24/2010

It's easy to get dirty - hard to stay clean

Less than two weeks ago I graduated from Jeff Justice's Comedy Workshoppe and performed my first stand up routine at The Punchline comedy club.  There was a sold out crowd of friends and relatives of the 17 people "graduating" that  night.   We each got about 5 minutes to do our new thing on stage in the hot lights. It was phenomenal fun to be in front of a supportive audience and to make them laugh.  It even sounded like real laughter.  I thought I was funny for a few minutes there; but I did check behind me to see if there was somebody back there making faces or pulling his pants down.

Then I entered a comedy contest at another club out of town.  Now, I want to point out that the info they sent about the contest said, "The more clever and clean you are, the more likely you are to advance."
I think this was a joke from the club owner.  I was gullible enough to believe it; either that, or my definition of clean is a h*ll of a lot squeakier than anyone else's.   I went in with just under seven minutes of well rehearsed comedy - or "jokes" as I call them.

After the first contestant, I knew I could be in trouble.  By the time the fourth came off and I was next, I was practically in a panic.   I realized that after hearing four people doing sex and masturbation jokes, and using the "f word" freely - the audience was going to be numb to my "clean" jokes.   And I guess I was right.  I say "guess" because the audience barely got a chance to decide.   I know I sound like sour grapes, but I can't help but wonder if the crowd would have warmed up to me a bit if I had been allowed to get through my set; but I wasn't.

There were three so-called celebrity judges who were mainly there to give critiques to each contestant after each performance.  One of the judges had a high hat cymbal to use as a gong.   He gonged me barely three minutes into my set.  I was pretty miffed that I didn't get a better chance.  Admittedly, I started weak because I was so psyched out by all the "dirty" comedy before me.  So I faltered a bit.   It's also possible that they took my opening little joke as bragging.  I said, "Well, I'm not a guy, ethnic, Jewish, bitterly divorced or a lesbian; so I guess my chance of making it in stand up comedy is thhhffft*!"
*(Made a 'raspberry" sound  and a zero gesture.)
I guess there were more lesbians and bitter divorcees in the crowd than I expected.

I did get some laughs after that, but not enough for the judge with the cymbal apparently.  Anyway, I survived my first bombing and I am still alive.  I am questioning whether a straight, happily married white girl can make it on that scene.  I also have been asking myself how edgy am I willing and able to be.  Frankly, I think just about anybody can come up with a dirty joke.  Being funny without being shocking or gross is a bigger challenge.  I believe I would like to continue to tackle that bigger challenge.

That's all I have to say about that for now.

4 comments:

ERIC said...

You are correct. Just about anybody can come up with a dirty joke. Finding a way to stay clean and funny is tougher and tougher in a comedic world where the audience is so flooded with the obscene that they become desensitized to anything less shocking than jokes about helping quadrapalegics masturbate (hmmm...that is kinda' funny, actually...) When you listen to comics like Jerry Seinfeld or Jim Gaffigan or Brian Regan, you are reminded of what comedic genius is, and how far one can (and should) strive to find humor outside of one's vulva. Let me know whatcha' find; then show me the way out...

China said...

I LOVE Jim Gaffigan's jokes about Hot Pockets. And that's not an innuendo! He is really talking about Hot Pockets! LOL!

CJ at Creating a Comic said...

"Just about anybody can come up with a dirty joke."

And just about anybody can come up with a clean joke. Coming up with a funny joke is the hard part.

I think a lot of the criticism of blue humor is actually a criticism of those lame comics who use vulgarity as a substitute for humor. Which I agree with, but that's a separate thing.

Louis CK and Bill Burr use the f-word a lot, but their acts are every bit as artistically imaginative as Brian Regan's. Ditto many other examples (Carlin and Pryor, if you prefer the old school)...

China said...

CJ:
Funny jokes are the most difficult, for certain. I guess I tend to define "joke" as a FUNNY bit of talk or writing with a set up-punchline structure.
I do agree that some blue comedy is funny and some is just filth. Usually overuse of the f-word leaves me flat, but Lewis Black can say it and say it and keep being funny.